GWR and BR (WR) Models 20
No. 1896 is an 1854 Class 0-6-0PT, seen here in post-World War II GWR green livery. Originally built as saddle tanks back in Victorian days, they were mostly (if they lasted in service long enough, and were not withdrawn first) rebuilt with pannier tanks in the early years of the 20th century. This class of loco was almost identical to the 2721 Class, and here lies the origin of this model - a Hornby 2721 Class with modified coupling rods (plain instead of fluted) - basically the only exterior difference. The model was also fitted with lamp irons (and a lamp !), to improve its appearance, and narrow tension-lock couplings.